Sunday, October 17, 2010

Bullies-they're everywhere!

I won't soon forget my time in middle school and high school. Some twenty years later the memories of what I endured during those years are forever etched in my mind. I grew up in a time when "gay" was just beginning to pick up momentum and "turn heads". Yet, I was still too young to realize what I was feeling.

When I started middle school, the very first day-Scott Woodward began to call me "faggot". That would be the beginning of what would cause me to become a chameleon of sorts and begin the process of trying in earnest to blend in and adapt so as not to be noticed. It was a fretful way of living. In the years leading up to middle school, I was a popular kid. Even through the divorce of my parents, and my father's poor handling of our family business and his desire to be involved with the "ladies" (yes in quotes-because they weren't really ladies in my mind rather-they were those -ummm what'dya call 'em begins with a w---and ends with an e) which torn our family to shreds-I maintained a bright exciting childhood.

On the first day of sixth grade, I hadn't been in the school and in my home room more than an hour until Scott started his name calling. I didn't really know what to make of what he was saying nor was I even sure of what it meant. At lunch that day-he took ketchup and squirted it all over my brand new shirt and shorts (my mom had worked hard to provide) and all the kids laughed. I didn't cry although I wanted too-rather I sat there and ate my lunch.

When I got to school the next day-Scott and one of his friends, Stanley met me in the front hallway. Once the bell had rung and we were walking down the hall to our first class-Stanley came behind and picked me up and carried me down the hall and threw me in the ladies restroom and stood in the doorway so I couldn't get out. Once I finally was able to get past the crowd of kids laughing at me-Mr. Simpson, the school principal walked past me. I got in trouble and was told to go to the Principal's office. After sitting there for what seemed like forever, Mr. Simpson asked why I was in the restroom-I tried to explain, but he wouldn't listen. I got in trouble and was required to go to in school suspension that day. This was only the beginning.

1 comment:

  1. I am not sure if I even know how to make a post on a blog! I may have tried and failed but I shall try again!
    Thankfully, I have never been the victim of this sort of cruelty. However, I have reared a daughter in the 21st century and I now know well what mean is! This is likely why I am so sensative to this behavior whether it is from middle schoolers or the adults they grow up to be. It remains pervasive: the false joy people seem to reap from making fun of other people... even when they present themselves as friends. I think it does more harm to the soul of he who is making fun than to the butt of those jokes... the adult victim is either unaware of the shallowness and ingenuineness of his friends or has learned to not care... Thanks for sharing, Jason!

    ReplyDelete