Monday, November 22, 2010

Just Now

I was reminded over dinner last night how bullying takes on so many forms and can happen in so many ways. Through conversation I learned of a bullying scenario involving a middle school student who was being bullied not because of being gay-but because the student is a bit socially awkward at times. The kid that was bullying this student was slamming them into the lockers at school and physically attacking the student.

Sure-my platform on this blog has been to bring awareness to kids being bullied because of sexual orientation-however, it happens to even those kids who are not a part of the GLBT community (although I like to think we all are by virtue of simply knowing a GLBT individual). IN effect no matter how you self identify-BULLYING HAS TO STOP in the schools of our children. No child should have to go to school afraid for his or her safety. No child should have to switch classes looking over his or her shoulder in fear that they are going to be hurt. I realize that some see this as wishful thinking, and perhaps in some ways it is-but if parents would simply be parents and stop being so self absorbed children just might be kinder to one another.

There are times I wonder, instead of society being so wrapped up in the equality of marriage and just let people love one another and be more concerned with allowing people to have children if we wouldn't have fewer problems. I think there should be a test for people who want to have kids. There are no bad kids-there are only bad parents!

Thankfully, my dinner conversation was a happy one in that the parent of this child was stepping up to the plate and doing something to protect their child. It was a very inspirational story!

2 comments:

  1. Jason, I wholeheartedly agree and my heart aches for the children being bullied. You are right, we have to have all kinds of permits and passes and licenses to do everything else in the world, but any idiot can have a child and neglect them. Having children of my own, I have realized how easy it can be to let learning opportunities pass. My daughter had two little girls who weren't necessarily bullying physically but at 2nd grade, already exhibited the "Mean Girl" personalities. It crushed my girl's spirit. I can't imagine the exponential heartbreak for child and parent alike when a more agressive form of bullying takes place. Thank you for your post. You are an awesome human being with a beautiful heart.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank-you, Brenna! Your words are kind, and your sentiment concerning this topic is very poignant. Please pass this on to anyone you can think of who might need to hear the words on my blog. We only affect change one voice at a time!

    ReplyDelete