Monday, January 10, 2011

There's...something to this

I entered the University of Kentucky in the Spring of 1995, on crutches. The winter break prior to beginning college, I'd gone skiing and decided my ACL needed to be replaced, so I mucked it up and ended up having a total replacement. OUCH! Nevertheless, I began my college career on crutches, but could've cared less-I wasn't in high school anymore, and didn't have to see those people anymore.

Sitting in my psychology class on the first day of the semester, I struck up a conversation with Amy and Tyler. They were quite the pair! Inseparable at best and comically joined at the hip. They were quizzing me about my injury, and asking me about the surgery and such. Amy was on her way to be a nurse, and Tyler was a pre-med student. Injuries and the like amazed them-why? The next several weeks the three of us would become the "three amigos". We were always together, they would help me get from class to class on my "sticks" as Tyler called them.

One day, we got to talking about my unfortunate "stickly statement" and how we could make them more fashionable, along with my unfortunate wardrobe of warm-ups and baggy pants. The next day the two of them showed up with some UK decals and decor to as Amy said, "pimp out the sticks". Then, the three of us skipped out on the rest of class that day and went shopping. We came up with a new post-surgery wardrobe that would allow for fashion and still be functional! I swear, that was the beginning of my sense of needing to dress in European style. YIKES!

I tell you all of this to tell you it did and it was getting better. I looked back at thought of how unfortunate it would've been to have not allowed myself the living this life.

What I determined later in life was an armchair philosophy that says: "no one can determine your life, your meaning, your being other than you. No one has the right to say you should be, sense or feel any certain way other than you. This life you've been given is purposeful and whole and is made for impacting the world."

No comments:

Post a Comment